Project

General

Wazo's Future

Added by James Young 27 days ago

I have read that Wazo is going commercial and that always means the community version is low priority or no priority. Please release a final community Wazo version to resolve some of the issues with 18.03.

I want to thank you for all your hard work and wish you much success on your commercial venture.

Thanks
James Young

Replies (2)

RE: Wazo's Future - Added by Sylvain Boily 27 days ago

Hello,

We will release a new version when we it will be ready. We don't want to release for release. We made huge changes, and many improvements in Wazo. We want to offer the capacity for all people want to have a commercial support from a community version will be possible. Be patient, we continue to support free software. Wazo platform is a free software and we don't change that and our vision. The commercial version is based on the same platform with the same code.

Sylvain

RE: Wazo's Future - Added by Richard Cantin 5 days ago

Sylvain Boily wrote:

Hello,

We will release a new version when we it will be ready. We don't want to release for release. We made huge changes, and many improvements in Wazo. We want to offer the capacity for all people want to have a commercial support from a community version will be possible. Be patient, we continue to support free software. Wazo platform is a free software and we don't change that and our vision. The commercial version is based on the same platform with the same code.

Sylvain

Sylvain,

I am happy to hear that you are committed to to maintaining a community version and whatever you decide, it is your decision to make since you and your team have put hundreds (thousands?) of hours into creating Wazo.

It would be helpful to me - and likely some others - if we had some understanding of where you are going with Wazo.

I have been delaying the installation of Wazo - to replace PBXinaFlash - for almost a year now since I am not sure what the new version will look like and how easy it will be to work with. History has shown me that you and your team do great work but with "huge changes" coming, it it always good to see it on a development system before using it in a production environment.

With the news of a Commercial version coming, it brings back memories of what SugarCRM did to the Open Source community a couple of years ago. After years of publishing a Community Edition (up to version 6) and encouraging developers - both professional and amateur (like me) - to contribute ideas and bug fixes, they announced a new version (version 7). For a year while version 7 was in development, going through beta versions, SugarCRM made no formal announcement of their plans for a community edition and in fact gave us indications that they would support both a commercial and consumer edition. After a year+ of working with the community developers to test version 7, they suddenly announced that going forward, they would have no Community Edition, only a Commercial version, and their Commercial pricing was like SalesForce.com , requiring a minimum number of users at over $20 per month, meaning about $100 per month for the basic system. Their betrayal of community developers created quite a stir in the community and resulted in a fork of the Community Edition to a product now called SuiteCRM.

I don't think you are planning the same treatment of your user and developer base, but I think you can see the parallels and the silence about Wazo's future is disconcerting.

Can you give us some indication as to the plans?

Is the Community Edition of Wazo going to stay on v18 code and the Commercial version going to v19 code? If so, this is what SugarCRM implied they were going to do but you can see by the above why that plan would create concerns.

If there is another plan, why are two versions (18 and 19) being co-developed? The delay to production-ready updates to v18 has now been almost a year and it appears - I may be wrong here, but I am just saying how it appears - to have been caused at least in part by the attempt to develop v19 at the same time as v18.

Like I said, it is your business and your decision, but it would help those of us who are waiting to make our decision if you could share some plans with us.

Thank you - in anticipation of you answering this AND for all you have done with the Wazo platform so far.

(1-2/2)