Wazo - Asterisk 14 vs 13

Added by Dan Siemens 3 months ago

Is there support for asterisk 13 LTS releases or option vs 14?

I know I can drop the version ut I want to make sure I do this in the "appropriate way"

Replies (6)

RE: Wazo - Asterisk 14 vs 13 - Added by Sylvain Boily 3 months ago

Why would you like to use asterisk 13? Wazo support only the 14 version.

RE: Wazo - Asterisk 14 vs 13 - Added by Sébastien Duthil 3 months ago

There is no such support. The only way for you to keep Asterisk 13 is to use Wazo 16.13, the last version before Asterisk 14. I would also be interested in the reasons leading you to this question :)

RE: Wazo - Asterisk 14 vs 13 - Added by Dan Siemens 3 months ago

Asterisk 13 is a LTS release which means it will be here for 5 years. V 14 is the development path tree where it may have more features than 13 but in telcom in production, stability is more important than any other feature.

RE: Wazo - Asterisk 14 vs 13 - Added by Sylvain Boily 3 months ago

Hello Dan,

I'm not agree with you, there is not much differences between 13 and 14 about developments, we are following the Asterisk development (we push also push patches sometimes) and they push the same code on asterisk 13 and 14 very often. We have many tests around Wazo and Asterisk so we prefer to have an up to date version instead to have an old with already bugs fixed. This is not specially about features, we always working to have a very stable platform (check our unit tests, functional tests, our jenkins ...). We develop with the latest stable version from long time ago and it's easily to give input to the asterisk developers and to be agile.

Sylvain

RE: Wazo - Asterisk 14 vs 13 - Added by Dan Siemens 3 months ago

I appreciate your feedback.

but

From the asterisk site they world recommend a user to use the LTS buids, but I would recommend the Certified builds.. We can't be bleeding edge on telephones, Its just not a risk that a person can take especially if you are in the enterprise. .
1) Change management is fundamental in every IT shop. We break things when we change and therefore change less.
2) We cant do regression testing that fast, and because we would get aged fast we would not longer be compliant on security so we can't keep up. So 2 upgrades a year is much more enterprise friendly than 6.
3) Do you want to go to meeting if there an outage and you report that you are using the latest version instead of the certified build, Even if the outage is not related to the event its a disaster coming.

Versions of Asterisk

There are two different types of Asterisk releases: Long Term Support and Standard. The type of release defines how long it will be supported. A Long Term Support release is fully supported for 4 years, with an additional year of maintenance for security fixes. Standard releases are supported for a shorter period of time; one year of full support and an additional year of maintenance for security fixes. Releases for these versions are generally made every six to eight weeks.

Certified Asterisk releases have undergone additional testing and are made less frequently - typically two to four times a year. Certified Asterisk releases are generally identical to the Long Term Support release they are based on, save for additional bug fixes that have been backported from the current mainline branch, and that were applied during testing.

Users new to Asterisk are encouraged to download the latest Long Term Support release, with the guidance that Certified Asterisk branches based on those releases have the least churn.

Long Term Support (LTS) Releases

Long Term Support (LTS) releases are made from Asterisk branches where the focus has been on stability and user experience. New point releases include the latest bug fixes.

RE: Wazo - Asterisk 14 vs 13 - Added by Zach Guithues 2 months ago

My feeling on the matter is that wazo is a bleeding edge project. it behooves the developers to stay on the most recent version of asterisk.

(1-6/6)